Jordan Dickerson Scholarship
The Jordan Dickerson Memorial “Share the Music” Foundation Scholarship
Jordan was a self-taught guitarist and piano player and he also possessed an incredible ability to sing and perform locally. Unfortunately, Jordan battled addiction and lost his battle last Christmas Eve. His love for music continued until his passing and the purpose of this scholarship is to spread the Gift of Music to those who can otherwise not afford to own an instrument or pay for lessons. It is provided to keep the legacy of Jordan’s love for music, his incredible spirit, and his impact in the community alive. Through a special partnership, we are proud to offer this scholarship.
One scholarship will be awarded during the application period, and includes:
A new guitar (acoustic or electric guitar package, recipient’s choice.)
One year of in-home lessons (1-2 times/week) provided by Gift of Music Lessons & More.
The Scholarship will be awarded on Monday, November 28th at a special event called “Jammin’ for Jordan” at Roswell River Landing, 245 Azalea Drive, Roswell GA from 7:00pm – 10:00pm. The recipient of the scholarship MUST be able to attend this event for the 8:00pm presentation; no exceptions will be made.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should create a video essay of 1-3 minutes in length and address one or more of the following topics. Be creative, energetic, and original. Alternatively, you may submit a written essay of 1-2 pages covering the same topics.
“What music means to me.”
“What this scholarship will mean to me”
“Why music makes me happy.”
“How music has changed my life.”
“Music helps me to be a better student because.”
HOW TO SUBMIT
Once you have your submission ready, click here to get started. A parent or guardian must fill out the entry form, and then you will be prompted to submit your video or written essay.
If you have additional questions, be sure to check out the F A Q about the Jordan Dickerson Scholarship.
Scholarship Details – please read carefully
- All scholarship applications must be received by 5:00 PM on Friday, November 12th 2016. Top 3 finalists will be contacted by phone by November 19th and the award recipient will be notified by November 21st.
- Scholarship is open to students aged 8 to 18, as of the application deadline.
- Open to residents in the following Georgia counties: Cobb, Cherokee, DeKalb, Forsyth, Gwinnett, and North Fulton, including the City of Atlanta.
- No previous music training of any kind if required. However, student must exhibit a strong desire to study music, and be willing to commit the time and effort to learning how to play guitar (or furthering their skills.)
- Student should not already own a guitar and/or be enrolled in lessons. The scholarship seeks to help a student/family unable to afford these. Student may be in a “guitar class” at school, as long as they don’t own a guitar or pay for lessons.
- Parent or legal guardian must agree to release all photos, videos, etc. from the awards ceremony for use by The Gift of Music Foundation and The Jordan Dickerson Memorial Share the Music
- Parent or legal guardian must agree to provide regular progress updates, including pictures and/or videos as requested for one (1) year.
- This is a renewable scholarship based on criteria presented at the end of each year.